What: Call for artists to submit work for “Re-Mind: A day of art, music and readings.” BCSS will be hosting a one-day event focusing on artists, writers, musicians and other types of performers with schizophrenia and other severe and persistent mental illness. Some key elements will be displaying the works of visual artists, readings by poets and authors and performances through the evening. The event is free and open to the public. Donations will be accepted on the day.
When: Deadline for submissions – Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 8:00 PM | Artists will be notified – Week of April 23, 2018
Event date: Thursday, May 24, 2018
Where: To be confirmed
Media: Artwork can be in any medium. Preference will be given to 2D works no larger than 4’x5’ and free standing sculptures. Writers will have the opportunity to sell their books and potentially do a reading on the day. Musicians and performers will also be provided the opportunity perform in the evening. Performance and reading spots are limited.
How to make a submission: Please make your submission via email to [email protected] and include the following:
- Full Name & Email & Phone Number
- Website (if applicable)
- Name/Title of piece (if applicable)
- Artist statement (if applicable)
- Concept behind submitted artwork
- Artists are required to send a high-resolution image of your piece
- Writers are required to send a sample of the book or piece that they would like to perform
- Musicians and performers are required to send a video and/or summary representing your performance
Subject: Our emphasis will be on creating a day to end stigma surrounding these brain disorders by showcasing members of the community to come and take part through artistic means. In Canada, one percent of the population is affected by schizophrenia and approximately three per cent will experience a psychotic episode during their lifetime. We are looking for artwork that challenges stigma, offers hope to people living with serious and persistent mental illness and allows them to know that they are not alone in their struggles to manage and treat their illness.
- Submitters will be notified of acceptance the week of April 23, 2018
- All decisions of the curator/jurors are final
- Upon acceptance, BCSS use images submitted to promote “Re-Mind: A day of art, music and readings.”All credits to artists will be included.
- We may ask select artists to provide higher resolution images for publication purposes
- All artwork must be available for display and cannot be removed from the exhibition for the duration of the event
Please contact Jean for any questions at 604-270-7841, [email protected]